Monday, May 18, 2009

SHITS - From the hot seat

The weather forecast wasn’t too good and driving through showers on the way didn’t bode well either. Luckily, that was the last we saw of the rain all day. Paul and I were in the male pairs’ category and had unprecedented support. We had a manager, a mechanic, two photographers, ex-team mates, family and friends giving us far more attention than we deserved! It was good, no, it was VERY GOOD!! Much appreciated thankyou.

All that was left for Paul and I to do was ride! Stepping aboard the new SRAMmed out Virtue team was a bucket load of fun. These Virtues seem to give you so much confidence that it’s almost dangerous! Suitably for the new bike, the course was rocky and almost all singletrack.

Paul kicked the race off with the opening lap giving us a handy lead that seemed to get bigger and bigger as the day went on. The focus shifted after a few hours to the quest for the fastest lap. Luckily for me, Paul hadn’t poured his heart and soul into any single lap and had already done 3 laps. My turn! The first lap of my double was about getting into good rhythm, getting a good feel for the single track and saving the legs. On the second lap I opened it up and gave it what I could. It was a good lap but not much faster than Pauls previous laps, was it enough?

Paul then headed out on a double and was clearly employing the same tactic as I did on my double; an easier lap to warm into it followed by a lap of pain. As he started his lap of pain he looked focussed, and seemed to be flying around the first half of the track. Shit - Not good signs for me.

Waiting in the changeover zone I watched the time tick by and surprisingly Paul didn’t come into sight until around 29 minutes. It was very close, I thought he got it but Paul informed shortly after during my lap that I had just got him! By only two seconds. Cramps had apparently struck Paul during the final few km’s to give me a sneaky victory in the fastest lap contest.

From then on, I think we both slowed down a little, but still took out the win comfortably. Another great day in the saddle.

Thanks again to the large support crew, sponsors Felt, SRAM, Avid, Rock shox, Truvativ and Panaracer for your support. Until next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home