Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Home Sweet Home

As Jarrod said below, I was off home this weekend to visit family and also squeeze in a race with the local MTB club.

The long drive was completed Friday night, and visiting duties dispatched with on Saturday. The race was on Sunday across the river into NSW, on the Murray River, just next to the Coomealla golf course for those who know the area.



I've raced up there a few times now, and the track improves every time I make the trip. There is always new sections of single track and little tweaks which have turned the track into quite a fun little course. There is basically no climbing on the course which is nice for some.

The morning of the race was pretty cold so it was nice to see that the organisers had built a little camp fire to keep us all warm before the race start. Unfortunately the turn out for the day was quite small, even by Mildura standards, with less than 15 riders across 3 categories. Off the start I got myself into the lead and after a small hiccup in the first few hundred meters where my pump jumped out of my pocket I managed to ride away from the rest of the field. During the four lap race I tried to ride consistent laps and have fun out on course in the single track and over some of the jumps that have been built.

In amongst the red gums next to the river

Some areas appeared very bare indeed, but recent rain kept the dust and sand at bay

The Mildura club is running a 3 hour race later in the year in September on the same course as this weekends race. There is $2500 prize pool and entries are now open. See here for more details. I would encourage any one looking for a race that's a little bit different to what we get down here in Melbourne to make the trip up, maybe even sample some of the wine from the area, or the beer which is really good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home