Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Chase the Sun No. 2 -Total Team Domination (Pauls Perspective)

I forgot to check the blog before I started this post and I'm not willing to admit I have wasted the last 30min typing this post...so I will add it in as a alternate perspective of the day)

Going into the second chase the sun of the year the felt racing camp were a little worried about the potential strong opposition. With teams like Dan McConnell and Cal Brittan from torq bopping out to play, it was potentially going to be a big ask to take the top spot on the box.

The night before Neil rocked up to Edward manor (my Melb home) and his plan was to ride the 5hr solo. When Dan Braunsteins jumped on facebook at 9:30pm and asked for a training ride Neil grabbed the keyboard and convinced him that they should pair up for the race. So the two Felt SRAM racing teams for the event were Neil and Dan with Scotty and I (Paul) paired up to go into battle.

Neil and I rolled into the event site after a few incorrect turns (thanks for nothing google maps) and lined up for parking. The tent site was already set up to suit the terrain thanks to Gerald (mechanic) and Rich (team manager). Gerald had his mobile work station running hot with the spanners turning and ready to fix any minor or major issues that may arise. I set up my new Fulcrum red metal zero wheels with the amazing new Panaracer 'rampage' tires. I put the new wheels in my super sleek race machine that is the Felt Six team hardtail race bike. Scott and Neil were on board the dual suspension virtue but I need to get used to the hardtail in preparation for heading OS in just a little over a month. Both bikes worked well out on course but the virtue had a clear advantage in the single track sections.

THE RACE:
After all of the preparation and pre race talk I need to get into the race description:

Neil and I were the first riders for the two teams and our responsibility was to stay with the lead to give the boys a clear track. The start loop crossed the length of the dam wall along the top and with Neil and I leading the pack through the thick fog and into the single lane bridge it was a pretty special moment (you would understand if you experienced it from my perspective).

The first lap was fast. Neil and I pushed the pace the whole way around in an attempt to gap the field. I had not ridden the track before that first lap and I had an awesome time in the fast and flowing single track. I pushed harder on the main fireraod climb near the then blew up at the top and decided to wait for Neil. I had forgotten how well the new carbon six hardtail climbs.

So Neil and I rolled in the first lap at the same time and tagged onto our teammates Scott and Dan B. The boys pushed out a super fast lap and Dan had gaped Scott by around 20 sec. I pushed it hard on the first section and caught Neil who didn't appear to be waiting like he said he was going to. This lap was the first of a double to give each other a larger break. by the end of our double the two Felt SRAM teams had a 10min lead on Giant bikes and BMC. The decision was then made to split the coin and ride together till the end of the 5hrs. You may think that we would just take it easier and roll around cracking jokes, but this did not happen.

Scott and Dan were pinning the track all day and didn't slow down to enjoy the Forrest. I was always left wanting to have more break between the hurt session that Neil was dishing on our laps. Scott and Dan rolled in after their 4th lap and sent us out for a 5th and final lap for the day with only 10min until the 5hrs was elapsed. Neil and I backed if off a fraction and I was required to roll through first because of the series point on the line for Felt Racing- Tear some legs off.

The bikes were perfect (both Vertue team and six carbon), the new Panaracer Rampage tires hooked up unbelievably, the SRAM components bounced, changed and modulated smoothly and the Fulcrum Red metal zero wheels worked magically to keep the rigs rolling all day.

The support crew made the whole operation run smoothly and seamlessly throughout the day. Our new team manager Rich looked after all of the logistical aspects of the day and the general organisation of the team, good job also at getting Neil and I to transition on time every time, even with our relaxed attitude and time management. Gerald can never be thanked enough for what he does during an enduro race, he gives up his time and years of knowledge to support the team and keeps the bikes turning circles. A well oiled machine was out in full force for Sunday and look out for the same setup at the Geelong 6hr next weekend.

Thanks for reading my epic post. I should be studying but I'm finding it very easy to get distracted with important but non uni related tasks. As we find more photos they will be added up to the blog. Until next time.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home