Monday, November 26, 2007

A belated Ballarat 6hr Report

The Felt Enduro Team decided against participating in the Ballarat 6hr recently but fortunately for us, new team member Brendon was kind enough to bash the keyboard to write up a short race review. Brendon is currently riding a Felt RXC-Pro and doing it in style as you will read below.

"There was definitely no mud today. It got pretty wet first thing in the morning but once we got to Ballarat it was getting ready to be a fast and dusty course. Nine days prior to the race I had a crash on some single track which saw me tackle a huge post at round 25-30kmh. I was pretty wacked for a fair while, trying to pick my bike up and straighten bars i was experiencing disappearing hearing. As I am deaf in one ear already its pretty scary when the other ear is affected, add to that the dizzyness and of course a very painful shoulder.

The first diagnosis was that I had dislocated my shoulder and had managed to pop back in during the accident, but after the race the ostoepath said I couldnt have dislocated it because I hit the post square on and where the pain was was where the ac joint is. There may be a slight fracture there which isnt too major. The week before I was getting prepared for shoulder surgery, not anymore thankfully.

During the week I was slowly recovering and still having alot of trouble putting it under load. By the end of the week I was keen to ride solo but thankfully I was convinced to ride in a 3man which was quite relaxed.

So I got my shoulder strapped ready for battle and I rode off 3rd in my team, to avoid getting involved in the first lap of the race and doing something silly. My first lap was very dodgy as the tyres weren't Hutchinson (Thanks for pumping up the sponsors!) and I had a few scary moments on the (Brand and Style deleted ;) ). The first part of the course was in tight single track which opened up into 4wd type tracks. Then over a stream, through a tunnel under the freeway, back round then over the freeway on a foot bridge which was pretty wicked. The last half of the course was quite hilly with some off camber hairpin corners leading into a cool section with some corner jumps/berms and some steep dips, all in all, a really enjoyable course. Lap 2 was better, started finding some good lines and my shoulder was in the swing, Lap 3 I was near on form and was getting stronger as the lap went on and had the course dialled. Lap 4 I wanted to be a blinder, I started out pretty cruisy and built it up to hit the mid course climbs hard and strong, leading into some good flow on the descents. The last lap was by far the fastest of the 4 which was good to see. I felt really good at the end and could've done another. My 2 teammtes were pulling consistent laps also, at the half way point we saw we were in 4th spot, we werent too fussed and surprisingly at prize giving we heard we had won the 3man race which was pretty cool for such a relaxed race.

Hope you enjoyed the short race report. Hear from me again soon maybe.
Laters Chaps"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home